Sorry kids, no feet.

I am a stay at home mom with three girls. All of the time I should spend cleaning or making things I see on Pinterest is usually spent reading instead. Pinterest can get expensive. The library is free. At least until I rack up the fines for overdue books. If I'm not reading something that interests me, I'm listening to my seven year old read to me about fairies or princesses or fairy princesses. If she's not reading to me, I'm reading to my four year old twins about Batman or Star Wars or Legos. We value diversity around here.

Serafina and the Black Cloak
Robert Beatty
The First Man in Rome
Colleen McCullough
Progress: 258/1076 pages
Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles
Margaret George
Progress: 34/880 pages

If you can be disappointed in train wrecks......

The Rivals of Versailles: A Novel (The Mistresses of Versailles Trilogy) - Sally Christie
I received an advanced copy of this book courtesy of NetGalley. All of the opinions are my own.

I am actually kind of disappointed that this book wasn't as much of a train wreck as the previous novel, The Sisters of Versailles.

First I would just like to say that if the author had filled her books with the kind of writing talent she displayed in the last chapter of this novel, her books would be five star reads for me.

The women in this book are just as one dimensional as they were before. They are all a bunch of brainless magpies. Sex and fancy things are the greatest motivators of the 18th century apparently. Diane was back in all her moronic glory. Older doesn't always make for wiser. Ugh. Just ugh. I've never actually seen the show Reign but I imagine it watches much like this book reads. Very young adult.

The only reason I accepted a copy of this book was because I didn't think it could be any worse than the previous novel. Surely Madame de Pompadour is a much more interesting character than all of the Nesle sisters. Madame de Pompadour was a fascinating woman. All of the proof you need for that can be found here http://thehistorychicks.com/episode-1...

I will not be picking up book three. I just don't think I can subject myself to that again.