Sorry kids, no feet.

I am a stay at home mom with three girls. All of the time I should spend cleaning or making things I see on Pinterest is usually spent reading instead. Pinterest can get expensive. The library is free. At least until I rack up the fines for overdue books. If I'm not reading something that interests me, I'm listening to my seven year old read to me about fairies or princesses or fairy princesses. If she's not reading to me, I'm reading to my four year old twins about Batman or Star Wars or Legos. We value diversity around here.

The First Man in Rome
Colleen McCullough
Progress: 258/1076 pages
Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles
Margaret George
Progress: 34/880 pages
The Courts of Love
Jean Plaidy

We should probably just go back to India

The Infidel Stain - Miranda Carter

Having enjoyed, The Strangler Vine, I was really looking forward to reading this novel. My excitement over another Avery and Blake mystery was short-lived.

I feel like the author could do away with Avery and the book would have been much better. I think I would much rather read a mystery featuring Blake by himself than have to deal with Avery bumbling along for 300+ pages. There was no character development. Any chemistry that the two men may have developed in the first novel had completely disappeared. I did take into account the fact that this book is set three years and several events after the first novel. After a while I was sick of being hit of the head with the fact that Avery and Blake come from two different parts of society. I get it. They are different. That much was obvious from the first book. Avery is like a terrible miscast in a big Hollywood movie. Like Kirsten Dunst as Mary Jane Watson in the Spiderman movie.

The only think that drove me to the end of this book was the author's ability to create atmosphere. I was so intrigued by the Victorian London setting Carter created. The atmosphere combined with the political intrigue is what got me to the finish line. Had the mystery been less complex and politically charged, I do not think I could have finished.