Sorry kids, no feet.

I am a stay at home mom with three girls. All of the time I should spend cleaning or making things I see on Pinterest is usually spent reading instead. Pinterest can get expensive. The library is free. At least until I rack up the fines for overdue books. If I'm not reading something that interests me, I'm listening to my seven year old read to me about fairies or princesses or fairy princesses. If she's not reading to me, I'm reading to my four year old twins about Batman or Star Wars or Legos. We value diversity around here.

The First Man in Rome
Colleen McCullough
Progress: 258/1076 pages
Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles
Margaret George
Progress: 34/880 pages

Well obviously.

The Boleyn Reckoning - Laura Andersen

I received this book from NetGalley as an advanced read.

This trilogy ended exactly like I thought it would. That's not a bad thing but based on the three stars I'm giving the book, it's not really a good thing either. Elizabeth ending up on the throne of England, even in an alternate history is not a disappointment. If anything, it is a testament to the impact Elizabeth had on history and the world. The author's decision to end the trilogy with Elizabeth as the Queen of England is a little disappointing. It just seems like an easy, obvious ending when one takes the trilogy into consideration.

The plot of the novel was well-written and I found it compelling but there was a lingering feeling of deja vu throughout the whole thing that picked away at my enjoyment. Despite being a novel set in an alternate history, a lot of the characters suffered the same fate as they did in actual history.  A few of the examples 1.) Lady Jane Rochford- goes mad, executed 2.) Duke of Northumberland, John Dudley- executed for treason 3.) The obvious end for Elizabeth as Queen
There were several other characters and incidents that existed in the alternate history in a manner nearly identical to the actual history. The above is just a short list. I don't really have any issues with any of the above plots but it seems a little lazy. If you want to write a alternate history, write an alternate history.

If you are a person interested in alternate histories, I would recommend giving this trilogy a go but I caution against getting your hopes up too high. At the end of the day, these Tudors didn't really fair any differently than the real Tudors.