Sorry kids, no feet.

I am a stay at home mom with three girls. All of the time I should spend cleaning or making things I see on Pinterest is usually spent reading instead. Pinterest can get expensive. The library is free. At least until I rack up the fines for overdue books. If I'm not reading something that interests me, I'm listening to my seven year old read to me about fairies or princesses or fairy princesses. If she's not reading to me, I'm reading to my four year old twins about Batman or Star Wars or Legos. We value diversity around here.

Serafina and the Black Cloak
Margaret George
Progress: 34/880 pages

This is how it all ends

The Virgin's War - Laura Andersen

I received an advanced copy of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest opinion.

When I first read The Boleyn King, I was hooked. The idea of an alternate historical reality where Anne Boleyn and Henry VIII have their long desired male child appealed to me more than I can verbalize. By the end of The Boleyn Reckoning, I was less than enchanted with this alternate (and I use the term loosely considering the ending) historical reality.

Enter The Virgin's Daughter. I had to pick this book up. After predicting with a 90% accuracy the fates of the main characters from the previous trilogy, I needed to see if I could perform as well a second time. I scored about a 75% this time around.

Much of The Virgin's War centers around England's impending war with Spain. If you know how it actually ended, then you know how it ended in alternate reality. Sure some of the people were different. However, Elizabeth's rousing speech was the same and the Spanish armada was still hammered into submission. The biggest difference? After the dust has settled, James VI of Scotland does not find himself on the English throne. I will have to admit I was excited to be wrong about this prediction. I thought 1603 would roll around and James would find himself James I of England after something tragic happened to Anabel. I expected Andersen to take the same route (real history) as she did with the previous trilogy despite her obvious admiration for Elizabeth I.

Despite being disappointed with the overall story and trilogy's ending, I do have to give enormous amounts of credit to the author. She is talented. There is no denying it. While reading these books, I constantly find myself crying over characters who demise I correctly predicted at the start of the novel. However, would I like to read a series of books focusing on the reign of Anabel? Not likely