NoFeet

Sorry kids, no feet.

I am a former stay-at-home mom who has given up her hopes and dreams of becoming a professional reader. I now spend my days showing small children how to play games on computers. Right now I'm living vicariously through my 9 year-old who is reading everything she can get her hands on.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
J.K. Rowling, Olly Moss
Dragon's Lair
Sharon Kay Penman
In the Name of the Family
Sarah Dunant

Judge a book by its cover

The Hourglass Factory: A Novel - Lucy Ribchester

I know people say you should never judge a book by its cover. Well, I judged this book by its cover and it was totally worth it. The cover is actually what sold me on this book.

I was browsing the new books at the library one day when this cover caught my eye. I picked it up and read the blurb. The Suffrage movement is something I know virtually nothing about. All I can think of is Mrs. Banks from Mary Poppins dancing around her house singing "While we adore men individually, we agree that as a group they're rather stupid!" That's it. That was the extent of my knowledge on the subject.

After finishing, I found myself a little more enlightened, a little more disgusted, and a lot more grateful for women like Mrs. Pankhurst. While I can't say I agree with some of the acts these women committed in the name of securing equality, I realize that without them many of the freedoms I take for granted today would be unavailable to me. The way these women were treated by police officers and government officials was nothing sort of deplorable.

I was hesitant to read this book. After seeing the cover and reading the blurb, I expected 500 pages of chick lit. While I don't have anything against chick lit, it is just not my preferred genre. Every once in a while I need a good "girl" book but I don't care to make it my everyday reading. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that this book was far from chick lit. The mystery was well written enough that this book could easily appeal to both men and women. The character development could have used a little work. Inspector Primrose fell flat for me. I was expected more of a Primrose/Frankie story. However, the Frankie/Milly pairing worked and I found both women to be charming in their own ways. I would love to see more of Frankie. There is just something about a woman who says what she's thinking and defies convention that appeals to me. Too bad she's not a red head.