Sorry kids, no feet.

I am a stay at home mom with three girls. All of the time I should spend cleaning or making things I see on Pinterest is usually spent reading instead. Pinterest can get expensive. The library is free. At least until I rack up the fines for overdue books. If I'm not reading something that interests me, I'm listening to my seven year old read to me about fairies or princesses or fairy princesses. If she's not reading to me, I'm reading to my four year old twins about Batman or Star Wars or Legos. We value diversity around here.

The First Man in Rome
Colleen McCullough
Progress: 258/1076 pages
Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles
Margaret George
Progress: 34/880 pages
The Courts of Love
Jean Plaidy

Judge a book by its cover

The Hourglass Factory: A Novel - Lucy Ribchester

I know people say you should never judge a book by its cover. Well, I judged this book by its cover and it was totally worth it. The cover is actually what sold me on this book.

I was browsing the new books at the library one day when this cover caught my eye. I picked it up and read the blurb. The Suffrage movement is something I know virtually nothing about. All I can think of is Mrs. Banks from Mary Poppins dancing around her house singing "While we adore men individually, we agree that as a group they're rather stupid!" That's it. That was the extent of my knowledge on the subject.

After finishing, I found myself a little more enlightened, a little more disgusted, and a lot more grateful for women like Mrs. Pankhurst. While I can't say I agree with some of the acts these women committed in the name of securing equality, I realize that without them many of the freedoms I take for granted today would be unavailable to me. The way these women were treated by police officers and government officials was nothing sort of deplorable.

I was hesitant to read this book. After seeing the cover and reading the blurb, I expected 500 pages of chick lit. While I don't have anything against chick lit, it is just not my preferred genre. Every once in a while I need a good "girl" book but I don't care to make it my everyday reading. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that this book was far from chick lit. The mystery was well written enough that this book could easily appeal to both men and women. The character development could have used a little work. Inspector Primrose fell flat for me. I was expected more of a Primrose/Frankie story. However, the Frankie/Milly pairing worked and I found both women to be charming in their own ways. I would love to see more of Frankie. There is just something about a woman who says what she's thinking and defies convention that appeals to me. Too bad she's not a red head.