Sorry kids, no feet.

I am a stay at home mom with three girls. All of the time I should spend cleaning or making things I see on Pinterest is usually spent reading instead. Pinterest can get expensive. The library is free. At least until I rack up the fines for overdue books. If I'm not reading something that interests me, I'm listening to my seven year old read to me about fairies or princesses or fairy princesses. If she's not reading to me, I'm reading to my four year old twins about Batman or Star Wars or Legos. We value diversity around here.

Serafina and the Black Cloak
Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles
Margaret George
Progress: 34/880 pages

My favorite holiday!

How fitting is it that on National Book Lover Day, this came in the mail for me?

Best part? I'm pretty sure it cost me about $5.

There are probably countless number of blog posts and status updates out there today where people are discussing their favorite books. Allow me to add them with a list of my own.

My favorite book: This just might be the hardest question anyone can ever ask me. I can't pick just one. I can manage to get it down to two.

1.) Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice- I know people have a love/hate relationship with Anne Rice's work. I am one of those people who loves her work (most of it). This book has a special place in my heart. It was the very first book I checked out from the adult section of the library. I was all of 14 years old. I had long since grown bored with the children's section of the library. Young Adult books weren't nearly as popular then as they are now. I was tired of Babysitter Club adventures. I found the twins of Sweet Valley High mind numbingly stupid. On an unrelated note, I find it slightly ironic that I am now the mother of an identical set of twins who will probably someday look just like Sweet Valley's own. Hopefully they have a bit more brain. Anyway, the local library just happened to be my neighbor and my mother's best friend. She wasn't convinced that someone my age should be reading anything by Anne Rice. She seemed to think I should go the route of a friend of mine who was currently inhaling anything written by Danielle Steel. This friend was also 14. Before I could even get home with my book, the librarian had already called my mother. When I got home my mom looked at me and looked at my book. "I don't care if you want to read this. Just don't get upset when you come across something you aren't old enough to understand. Just come ask." Fortunately for my mother, this was before Google. If I didn't understand something, I either had to dig through encyclopedias or ask her. Finishing this book had reignited my love of reading. The adult section of the library was like a whole new world for me. I will forever be grateful for this book. I tried to figure out how to make that long story short. I failed.

2.) Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban- I love all the Harry Potter Books. This one is my favorite. Harry Potter is one of those slightly tragic characters. Sure things seem to work out alright in the end for him but all of the crap he has to wade through would be enough to kill the spirit of anyone. To me this book finally gave Harry something he had been looking for his entire life. It made me happy to see Harry happy.

I have three children. I read A LOT of picture books. Here are a few of my (and my girls') favorites:

1.) The Day the Crayons Quit by Oliver Jeffers- I don't know how many times I have read this book since it came out. Every time we read it, my girls laugh at the various adventures of lost crayons. The story is charming. The pictures are wonderful. It is a fantastic book for adults and children alike.

2.) Love You Forever by Robert Munsch- I read this book when I was on my middle school speech team. My mom picked it out for me. Now as a mother myself, I can't read it without crying.

I could go on and on creating various lists of my favorite books but it feels like I went on long enough already. Your turn. What are some of your favorite books? Is there a reason they are your favorites?