Sorry kids, no feet.

I am a stay at home mom with three girls. All of the time I should spend cleaning or making things I see on Pinterest is usually spent reading instead. Pinterest can get expensive. The library is free. At least until I rack up the fines for overdue books. If I'm not reading something that interests me, I'm listening to my seven year old read to me about fairies or princesses or fairy princesses. If she's not reading to me, I'm reading to my four year old twins about Batman or Star Wars or Legos. We value diversity around here.

Serafina and the Black Cloak
Margaret George
Progress: 34/880 pages

Not your average Ancient Egypt

Year of the Hyenas: A Novel of Murder in Ancient Egypt - Brad Geagley
So many novels about Ancient Egypt focus on life within the royal court or royal harem. This novel was a pleasant departure for from glittering drama of a royal court. While the Pharaoh and his wives are never far from the plot of the novel, the main focus is on the tomb builder village. I have seen several documentaries featuring archaeologists and historians discussing how these tomb building villages work but I've never taken the time to read about these village. This novel gives the reader a look into the lives of the people who lived in these villages. As it turns out, they aren't any less dramatic than the royals.

The plot of the novel did take some time to get rolling but once it did, it was a nonstop ride.