Sorry kids, no feet.

I am a stay at home mom with three girls. All of the time I should spend cleaning or making things I see on Pinterest is usually spent reading instead. Pinterest can get expensive. The library is free. At least until I rack up the fines for overdue books. If I'm not reading something that interests me, I'm listening to my seven year old read to me about fairies or princesses or fairy princesses. If she's not reading to me, I'm reading to my four year old twins about Batman or Star Wars or Legos. We value diversity around here.

Serafina and the Black Cloak
Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles
Margaret George
Progress: 34/880 pages
The Sekhmet Bed - L.M. Ironside, Libbie Hawker

I enjoy books that explore little known historical eras. This book certainly fits the bill. Most people when the they think of Ancient Egypt think of figures like Cleopatra, Tutankhamen, or Nefertiti. I think Hatsheput is building momentum. This novel, focusing on her mother, certainly helps bring Hatsheput to the forefront. I would have liked a little less soap opera. Granted when two sisters share a husband (like so many Egyptian royals), there's bound to be drama but after a while the whole thing seemed rather over the top. It was like Linda Evans and Jackie Collins in the desert.

The above brief review was written in 2015 after reading this book. I was excited to continue on with this series as I thought there was a great deal of potential. However, the author decided she needed to throw a tantrum in a group I am a member of on Group Reads. She thought herself above the moderators' rules and when she was called out, decided to act like any reasonable four year old would. She wrote a blog post that rivaled any tantrum my children have ever thrown. She then proceeded to call on her fan base to report the group and have the moderators removed from Goodreads all together. Unfortunately for this author, she messed with the wrong Goodreads group. Her campaign was not successful. The members of the offended group were successful in their efforts to have the ridiculous post removed and the group continues to thrive. Based on these actions, I have decided that no matter how interesting I think any of Ms. Hawker's books might sound, I will not be reading any of her work.