Sorry kids, no feet.

I am a stay at home mom with three girls. All of the time I should spend cleaning or making things I see on Pinterest is usually spent reading instead. Pinterest can get expensive. The library is free. At least until I rack up the fines for overdue books. If I'm not reading something that interests me, I'm listening to my seven year old read to me about fairies or princesses or fairy princesses. If she's not reading to me, I'm reading to my four year old twins about Batman or Star Wars or Legos. We value diversity around here.

The First Man in Rome
Colleen McCullough
Progress: 258/1076 pages
Mary Queen of Scotland and the Isles
Margaret George
Progress: 34/880 pages
Raiders of the Nile - Steven Saylor
I found this adventure featuring Gordianus (he's not quite "the Finder" yet) a little weak compared to the previous two novels I read. I found parts of the novel to be brilliant and other parts to be on the boring side.

My favorite character in this novel wasn't even human.  Cheelba is a tame lion used to terrify potential new members of the Cuckoo's Gang. The bandits dress the poor lion in a garish costume to make him appear to be a terrifying beast of mythical proportions. In reality, he's just a big kitten with a toothache. I loved this lion. Along with being The Finder, I am starting to think of Gordianus as some kind of collector (you know like from Guardians of the Galaxy. sort of).

There was a point in the novel where I figured out why I like Gordianus so much. He reminds me a little bit of Ezio from the Assassin's Creed games. Of course we don't see Gordianus running around jumping from ledges and putting a blade through the back of unsuspecting victims but he's got a personality that reminds me of Ezio. The whole initiation into the Cuckoo's Gang seemed like a plot right out of an Assassin's Creed game.

The twist at the end of the novel was excellent. It wasn't at all what I was expecting. Sometimes that's alright. I had started to guess how things were gong to work out towards the middle of the novel. For once, I'm glad I was wrong. Clearly Saylor is a better writer than I am. Ok, that's not even a contest. I have no published work.