NoFeet

Sorry kids, no feet.

I am a stay at home mom with three girls. All of the time I should spend cleaning or making things I see on Pinterest is usually spent reading instead. Pinterest can get expensive. The library is free. At least until I rack up the fines for overdue books. If I'm not reading something that interests me, I'm listening to my seven year old read to me about fairies or princesses or fairy princesses. If she's not reading to me, I'm reading to my four year old twins about Batman or Star Wars or Legos. We value diversity around here.

The Goddesses: A Novel
Swan Huntley
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré
In the Name of the Family
Sarah Dunant

GOAL!!!

I tried to figure out how to elongated the vowel sounds in my title, like those fantastic soccer (football) announcers do, sadly I just couldn't make it work for me without my title looking a slight bit of ridiculous. At any rate, I am proud to announce I have accomplished my goal of 125 books read in 2016. With time to spare even.

Finishing The Courts of Love by Jean Plaidy brought me to the end of what had really become a challenge. Before going back to work full time I was breezing through books to the point of wondering what I was going to do as my TBR started to dramatically shrink. Then I got one of those adult full-time job things, and my leisure reading time decreased dramatically.

I'm not done reading for the year yet but since I have "officially" reached my reading goal, I thought I would take this time to reflect on some of what I have already read.

Wonderful Surprises

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

This book is one of those books that wasn't any where near my radar. I had it recommended to me by another member of a book club I am in. I have to say I am so glad this book was brought to my attention. I think this book should be a must read for anyone (young or old) who is dealing (or has dealt) with any kind of grief in their life. Patrick Ness takes the reading on an emotional journey. He grabs you by the heart and doesn't let go. The one negative thing about this book doesn't really even have to do with the book itself. There is a movie being released based off this book. While I think that Liam Neeson as the monster is excellent casting, I'm just not excited to see how this book translates to the big screen. Rarely am I excited to see how a movie translates to the big screen.

The Honorable Phryne Fisher

Cocaine Blues is a book that had been sitting on my TBR for a while. As part of a reading challenge I needed a book with the word "blue" in the title. This provided me with an excuse to go ahead and finally read Greenwood's delightful romp through 1920s Australia. Phryne Fisher has quickly become one of my favorite literary heroines. I started watching the Miss Fisher mystery series (in the States it can be seen on your local PBS station, outside the states I believe it is a BBC production) but I had to stop after only a few episodes as I have not read some of the later box. I must say while I'm enchanted with the lead actress, the show itself falls a little flat. There just doesn't seem to be that all encompassing atmosphere created by the books. And of course, there is the challenge that comes with throwing an entire book into a 50 minute television show. I might come back to the show once I have read a few more of the books.

Disappointments

The Infidel Stain by M.J. Carter- The first Avery and Blake novel, The Strangler Vine, was introduction to the talents of M.J. Carter as a fiction author. Her ability to transport the reader to late 19th century India was mesmerizing. I had hoped for more of the same upon Avery and Blake's return to Victorian England only to be left wondering if I even want to continue on with the series.

Face Down in the Marrow-Bone Pie by Kathy Lynn Emerson- A mystery set in Tudor England? That sounds like the kind of thing I would devour in one sitting. Not so much with this novel. The characters just didn't appeal to me. Lady Appleton is just about the most stuck up piece of fiction I have ever encountered. She just doesn't work for me. I did give the second book a chance just to see if the characters would grow on me. Not so much.

It's too early for me to say which of my reads this year have been my favorite. I still have a small pile of books I need to get through by the year's end.