NoFeet

Sorry kids, no feet.

I am a stay at home mom with three girls. All of the time I should spend cleaning or making things I see on Pinterest is usually spent reading instead. Pinterest can get expensive. The library is free. At least until I rack up the fines for overdue books. If I'm not reading something that interests me, I'm listening to my seven year old read to me about fairies or princesses or fairy princesses. If she's not reading to me, I'm reading to my four year old twins about Batman or Star Wars or Legos. We value diversity around here.

The Goddesses: A Novel
Swan Huntley
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré
In the Name of the Family
Sarah Dunant

Not even the most disappointing Vikings I've encountered today.

Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, Book 2 The Hammer of Thor - Rick Riordan

I gave up on my Minnesota Vikings at half time. I could have spent another half an hour trick or treating with my kids. Instead, I was the mean mom who made them adhere to regularly scheduled bed times just so I could watch the game. By half time I was ready to move on to some potentially more interesting Vikings.

Should have gone with the History channel version. At this point, I'm ready to call Riordan's "experiment" with Norse mythology a failure. I understand the whole "the more things change, the more they stay the same" motto but when it comes to books, it's a bad practice. Are you listening Dan Brown?

This series just isn't working for me. I so badly want it to. I am part Viking after all. The red hair is not an Irish thing. There isn't a drop of Irish blood in me (that I know of but that's a story for another day). It's too much. Stop beating me over the head with the fact that Magnus Chase looks like Kurt Cobain. Do kids these days even know who he was? Stop reminding me that there is a better universe out there consisting of Greek and Romans. Stop trying so hard to convince me that you, Mr. Riordan, understand today's youth. (By the way, I'm not suggesting that I understand today's youth but constantly referencing dead people like Kurt Cobain and Prince, isn't where I would start my journey towards understanding.) You're like that one teacher in school who dressed a lot younger than they should have and expelled way too much energy trying to prove they were your friend. In case you forgot, nobody actually liked that teacher.

Since Vikings seem to be a complete an utter disappointment tonight, I'm moving on to someone who never fails me. Jack, the Pumpkin King.