NoFeet

Sorry kids, no feet.

I am a former stay-at-home mom who has given up her hopes and dreams of becoming a professional reader. I now spend my days showing small children how to play games on computers. Right now I'm living vicariously through my 9 year-old who is reading everything she can get her hands on.

In the Name of the Family
Sarah Dunant
For the Winner
Emily Hauser

Fiction vs. Current Events

The First Man in Rome has been a slow burn for me. It's not that I'm not interested. I am. I think the writing is fantastic and the detail is incredible. The problem is I can only read 10-15 pages at a time. My brain just can't absorb more than that.

I have reached the point in the novel where Marius is elected senior consul for an unprecedented second time. If I didn't know any better, I would say someone somewhere is playing a cruel, ironic joke. If I didn't know any better, I'd swear I was reading a current newspaper instead of a work of historical fiction.

"I am afraid, Quintus Caecilius," said Drusus without an ounce of apology in his tone, "that for once I did not subscribe to the thinking of my peers. I voted for Gaius Marius- yes, that stops you in your tracks, doesn't it? Not only did I vote for Gaius Marius, but I prevailed upon most of my friends and all my clients to vote for him as well."

"You're a traitor to your class!" snapped Numidicus.

If Mike Pence turns into Sulla, America is f*cked.