NoFeet

Sorry kids, no feet.

I am a stay at home mom with three girls. All of the time I should spend cleaning or making things I see on Pinterest is usually spent reading instead. Pinterest can get expensive. The library is free. At least until I rack up the fines for overdue books. If I'm not reading something that interests me, I'm listening to my seven year old read to me about fairies or princesses or fairy princesses. If she's not reading to me, I'm reading to my four year old twins about Batman or Star Wars or Legos. We value diversity around here.

The Princess Diarist
Carrie Fisher
American Gods
Neil Gaiman
Progress: 112/592 pages
In the Name of the Family
Sarah Dunant

Fiction vs. Current Events

The First Man in Rome has been a slow burn for me. It's not that I'm not interested. I am. I think the writing is fantastic and the detail is incredible. The problem is I can only read 10-15 pages at a time. My brain just can't absorb more than that.

I have reached the point in the novel where Marius is elected senior consul for an unprecedented second time. If I didn't know any better, I would say someone somewhere is playing a cruel, ironic joke. If I didn't know any better, I'd swear I was reading a current newspaper instead of a work of historical fiction.

"I am afraid, Quintus Caecilius," said Drusus without an ounce of apology in his tone, "that for once I did not subscribe to the thinking of my peers. I voted for Gaius Marius- yes, that stops you in your tracks, doesn't it? Not only did I vote for Gaius Marius, but I prevailed upon most of my friends and all my clients to vote for him as well."

"You're a traitor to your class!" snapped Numidicus.

If Mike Pence turns into Sulla, America is f*cked.