NoFeet

Sorry kids, no feet.

I am a former stay-at-home mom who has given up her hopes and dreams of becoming a professional reader. I now spend my days showing small children how to play games on computers. Right now I'm living vicariously through my 9 year-old who is reading everything she can get her hands on.

In the Name of the Family
Sarah Dunant
For the Winner
Emily Hauser

Summer!

In a perfect world, the best part about working at a school is the prospect of summers off.

In the real world, I work at a school. It is summer. I am currently 3 hours away from home in a completely different state. Say what?!? That's like a vacation, right? Sort of. I am staying in a fancy hotel room with no kids and no spouse. However, I'm spending two days at a conference for work. The goal is to learn new ways to implement technology into classrooms and retain that knowledge until September.

I had these grand illusions about how I was going to spend my summer tearing through my TBR and writing witty blog entries. I got an InstantPot for Mother's Day. I was excited to chronicle my efforts to learn how to use this cult device. I've used it a handful of time. I'm not as in love with as say people who own four of them and never use their ovens. However, it has it's perks. It is faster than a crock pot. I don't have to turn on my oven when it's 90 degrees outside. The downside, the bar down the road from my house is loosing business. Instead of ordering food after children have gone to bed, the other adult and I are throwing meals in the InstantPot and letting it cook while getting said children into bed.

In terms of reading this summer. Well.......... I think my eight year old has read more books than I will this summer. Right now I'm pretty grateful for American Girl books. Ideally there should be enough of them to get the child through this summer. I have no idea what I am going to do when the school year starts again. She's going to read me out of house and home.

On the bright side, I am at this conference completely by myself. No children. No spouse. No other co-workers. Just me. This means I'm not obligated to be social when I get back to my hotel room at 4:00. And if the hotel is as loud tonight as it was last night, I will be up late enough to get a lot of reading done.

How's your summer? Or maybe winter if you are on that side of the world?