NoFeet

Sorry kids, no feet.

I am a former stay-at-home mom who has given up her hopes and dreams of becoming a professional reader. I now spend my days showing small children how to play games on computers. Right now I'm living vicariously through my 9 year-old who is reading everything she can get her hands on.

The Last Hours
Minette Walters
The Handfasted Wife
Carol McGrath

Artemis by Andy Weir

Artemis: A Novel - Andy Weir

Two reviews in one day? What? And for anyone who is keeping track, I think I've reviewed every book I've read so far this year. Let's talk again in February.

Science Fiction is not my jam. I tend to avoid that genre more than I avoid direct sunlight. Then people raved and raved about The Martian. Fine. I'll check it out. Surprisingly, I loved it. So when I saw Artemis sitting on my library's new release shelf, I decided I needed to pick it up.

One of the things I loved about The Martian was Mark Watney's wit. I haven't laughed so hard reading a book in so long. Jasmine Bashara is no Mark Watney. There are point where she tries really hard to be. She's not. She's just not. Maybe she could have been. I just didn't feel like the reader was given the opportunity to get to know Jazz. I felt like Weir spent so much time trying to set the scene that I never really got an opportunity to know Jazz. There was so much science. Before you say anything, yes, I know I'm reading science fiction. The science is implied. There was a heavy dose of science in The Martian but I was able to muddle through it. This science was a lot harder to muddle through. There was a lot of physics and a lot of chemistry. I did not do very well in either of those classes in high school. I'm pretty sure I never even took a physics class. Would you be surprised to learn I was more an English/Literature person?

At the end of the day, I still found this book to be an enjoyable read. If you were a fan of The Martian and you like science fiction more than I do, I think you too will enjoy this book.

P.S. - While I admit to struggling with a lot of the more science-y things, I think this would make a pretty fantastic television series.