NoFeet

Sorry kids, no feet.

I am a former stay-at-home mom who has given up her hopes and dreams of becoming a professional reader. I now spend my days showing small children how to play games on computers. Right now I'm living vicariously through my 9 year-old who is reading everything she can get her hands on.

Francis I - The Maker of Modern France by Leonie Frieda

King Francis I Of France - Leonie Frieda

I will admit to being a huge Tudor enthusiast. I can name all of Henry's wives, Mary's priests, and Elizabeth's potential husbands. It seems odd that I know so little of Francis I whose own rule intersected with Henry VIII's in so many ways. With that in mind, I was immediately intrigued when I saw this book featured on my library's new release shelf.

While, I found this book to be an interesting read, describing as a biography of how Francis created modern France is a little misleading. The author spends most of the time focusing on the relationship between Francis and Charles V of Spain. A lot of time is devoted to their various campaigns against each other in attempts to control portions of Italy and southern France. Henry VIII comes to play once in a while but he is by no means the major player most Tudor biographers would have you believe him to be.

The author spends very little time on any kind of policy or trends Francis created in France. She does take time to name names regarding the various artists (including DaVinci), Francis patronized. However, there is not much time spent on describing any kind of influence those artists had on Francis or France as a whole. That is something I would have like to have been given more information about.

Overall, if you are looking for an introduction to Francis I, this book works. I'm currently taking suggestions if anyone has any good books that delve a little deeper into how he ran France and/or his family life (specifically his own children).